Monday, August 27, 2012

Grandmother's Funeral aka I'm Going to Hell.... Apparently

So, my grandmother, like most of my family, is a christian.  She went to church a lot, etc, etc.  My mom by extension also goes to church. 

The preacher at the funeral started off talking about my grandmother, but then went into scripture nonstop.  Then said if you're not a christian, then you're going to hell and my grandmother isn't.  I almost walked out.  I refused to shake the man's hand.  I don't know what happens when we die, most likely with our brains shut down, we just don't exist.  It sucks and I hope that's not the case, but it's the most likely one.  That's the truth, and the truth matters more than my fear of death.  That being said, it was insulting that he didn't even flinch when saying this crap.  Not a question in his mind.  I frankly just saw it as a ploy to increase his paycheck by scaring people into the pews.  He needs that new car and how dare you suggest that churches pay taxes.  Sorry, off topic.

First off, it was a funeral, not a sermon.  It always seems that's what these things turn into.  I was okay with people praying and verses being spoken, but having shit like that thrown into my face was disgusting.  I guess he thought he was in safe hillbilly company.  I guess he didn't think there were Jews or Muslims there either.  He started talking about Scientology, like that was likely.  I guess it was the safe route, because if he talked shit about 'God's people' he would be anti-Semitic.  Nobody gives a crap about Scientology.  One has to ask though, how is what they believe, less ridiculous than what you believe?

If it had been anything other than my grandmother's funeral, I would have gone into full debate mode, but I'm not a prick... not like this douchebag.  He also said before he began his 30 minute, 'Your ghost is going to be tortured' rant, he said he wasn't there to be an evangelist.  Well guess what.  You lied. 

This is just stuff that Atheists have to deal with.  It sucks, but most of society wants us to die and have our ghosts tortured forever. Not only that, but apparently, we deserve it.  I normally would have thrown down in a debate.  How do you know that that's true?  Oh your book says so?  So how does a book written by bronze age goat herders apply to today and how is that more believable than Greek myths?  How are you with slavery in the bible or killing disobedient children?  Oh, I'm going to hell... that's nice, I win. Bitch.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I just wanted to take a minute to tell you that you have a great site! Keep up the good work.

    Burial insurance

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.